Search This Blog

Thursday 23 April 2015

Acrilpen on Paper

In a previous blog I told you about the acrylic pens I bought and tested, called Acrilpen. It states on the pens that they are meant to be used on fabric and I have tried it on fabric already, posting my findings here. I was not done with those pens yet. I still wanted to know how they would fare on paper! I keep a few sheets of paper at hand that has been prepared with gesso. I talked about strengthening paper with gesso to prepare it to accept paint in a previous blog as well. I grabbed one of these sheets, because I would want to use the pens in combination with normal acrylic paint to see how well it worked together.


I drew a couple of silly creatures on the paper with the pens. The result and feel of it can be compared to any other marker.


I colored the bugs using the pens as well.


I then collected a flat brush and acrylic paint to paint the background.


I laid down the paint rather thinly and set the paper aside to dry.


When the paint was dry I decided that I wasn’t happy with the outlines where the paint and pen met. I went over the outlines again with the pens.


I was still not satisfied with the result and turned to some metallic markers I had on hand.


I outlined only one of the bugs as a tester.


I decided that I liked this and did the same with the other bugs.


Am I satisfied with the results? I would have to say no. Is there something lacking in the pens? If I had to give a one word answer it would be pigment. I wanted it to be just a bit more vibrant. Oddly enough this did not bother me on the fabric. Would I use it on paper? I doubt it. I would if I did not have any other markers or pen, but I have a brilliant collection of pens and markers which include Daler-Rowney Pitt Pens and Pigma Pens. I would much rather use these products when working on paper, knowing that acrylic is a very accommodating medium allowing the use of virtually all other mediums. Would I use the Acrilpen on fabric again? Are you kidding? I have been dreaming up ideas for it ever since I’ve done the butterfly scatter cushion. The best idea I’ve come up with so far is to make a hand-painted wallet and/or handbag. But maybe I get a better idea. As always, I’ll keep you posted right here.

For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment