Search This Blog

Thursday 7 May 2015

Decoupage Glass Tiles Part 2 - Decoupage the cut glass tiles

In the previous blog I showed you how to cut glass. Actually it was more like learning together. In this blog we take the next step and I’ll show you how to decoupage glass to create your own glass tiles.


All of the literature and research I perused said that I had to use modge podge for the purpose. I wanted to find out if I could use Acrylic Gel Medium as well. As a result, I decided to use both and blog about the results comparatively in the same blog.



I rummaged through my file of cut-out pictures looking for designs and pictures to fit under the cut glass pieces.


I found a variety of pictures on different types of paper, which suited me perfectly, because I would like to know the range of possibilities. In each of these cases I chose backgrounds that was bigger than the glass and which could be trimmed back later.






I also chose two designs that would be smaller than the glass and would leave open space that would need to be painted later.


One design was made up of different pieces of paper, like a mini collage.


I applied both the modge podge and the acrylic gel medium to the glass, painting it on with a flatbrush.



I then stuck the picture on. The next time I did it, I actually turned the glass over on the picture, which made it easier to correctly position the picture on the glass.


After sticking the picture on, I painted it again with either modge podge or acrylic gel medium, depending on what I used for the bottom layer.


These are the only two tiles I did with the acrylic gel medium. I kept them separate so I could judge afterwards how the results differed from each other.


I laid all the tiles aside to dry.



When it was dry, I trimmed the excess paper with a sharp craft knife, cutting as close to the glass as possible.



At this stage there was no discernable difference between the modge podge and the acrylic gel medium aside from the fact that the modge podge took ever so slightly longer to dry.



I wanted to paint the backgrounds of the two tiles that had open spaces and chose a cheap student grade acrylic paint for the purpose.


I painted the back of the glass with the paint using a flat hog hair brush for a streaky effect (a soft bristle will apply the paint smoothly and evenly). I left it to dry.


When the paint was dry, I sealed it with a layer of modge podge and acrylic gel medium respectively.



My conclusion is that you can use either modge podge or acrylic gel medium with equal success and that both mediums can be painted with equal success. You be the judge. The fish and lemons in the right of the picture were done with acrylic gel medium. The oranges and the pictures on the left were done with modge podge.


I’ll do a follow-up blog shortly showing you how to use your handmade glass tiles in projects.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment