Search This Blog

Monday 29 June 2015

Derwent Tinted Charcoal Pencils

I love working in charcoal! So when I discovered Derwent had a set of Tinted Charcoal there was no doubt in my mind that I would get myself a set of these. This was a couple of years ago and I am still as in love with the pencils, as I was when I first tested them. Let me share my enthusiasm with you.


The only products I am going to use are my set of Dewent Tinted Charcoal Pencils and an A4 sheet of Fabriano Elle Erre 220 gsm pastel paper in pale pink.


I draw the outline of the bear in Burnt Earth. When working with charcoal it is very important that you remember never to rest your hand or arm on the paper or you will smudge your own lines.


I use Thistle to add the patch.


I use Lavender to color the patch using hatching and cross-hatching lines.


I use Ocean Deep to color the nose, making sure to leave a small spot uncovered for the glistening reflection of light.


I use Dark Moss to draw clumps of hair on the outline of the Tatty Teddy. Hair should always be drawn in clumps to appear more natural. Also make sure that they lie over each other in disarray sticking out in all directions.


Detail of the hair.


I use Burnt Embers to add the deep shadows on the teddy.



The majority of the bear's body is colored with Glowing Embers. Make sure to leave large patches of the paper uncolored. These will serve as natural highlights. We will blend the charcoal shortly to get a more even spread of color.
By the way, can you see the three-holed sharpener in the background? It is a product of Faber-Castell's and I love using it with the Tinted Charcoal pencils which are a tad too thick to fit in a normal sharpener.



The tail and snout is colored with Forest Pine



With color added to the whole bear, all that remains to do is to blend the colors. I use a clean paint brush for this, gently brushing over the charcoal and spreading it as desired, leaving deeper color in the shadowy bits and lighter colors towards the highlights.


Once I am satisfied that I am finished, I spray a fix-it over the charcoal to keep it from smudging.


This is the end result.


For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment