Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 September 2015

Sewing and Painting a Book Bag Library Part 2

In the previous blog we started making two book bag libraries for two little girls. We had great fun drawing and painting a modern take on Goldilocks and today we will explore this theme a little further by drawing and painting Papa Bear.
Here are the links to the parts of the blog series:
Part 1 - Drawing and painting Goldilocks
Part 2 - Drawing and painting Papa Bear
Part 3 - Drawing and painting Mama Bear
Part 4 - Drawing and painting Baby Bear
Part 5 - Adding educational items to Goldilocks and Papa Bear
Part 6 - Adding educational items to Mama Bear and Baby Bear
Part 7 - Sewing the actual book bags


I found the inspiration for this character in a book on scrapbooking; Creative Scrapbook Piecing 2, by Marina du Plessis. I loved the posture of the monkey, but changed the features to resemble that of a bear.



Start by drawing the top hat with its swanky feathers.


Next we draw the face.


We draw the feet first and then fit the body in behind them.


I always like to do some color blocking before I start. Acrilpen is brilliant for this purpose.


I decided to complete quite a bit of detail with the Acrilpen.


When I start painting, I use Dala Fabric Paint. Most of the design is painted with an angle brush, although I sometimes switch to a round no 2 brush for the finer detail. The background is painted with a no 10 Flat brush. I start by painting the top hat black.


The details of the hat is painted in red, as is one of the feathers. I turn the brush over and scratch more detail into the wet paint with the back of brush.


The other feather is painted in Donnington Blue. Again I scratch the detail in with the back of the brush.


The bear is painted in its entirety in Blue.


I use black on the sides of the bear to create depth.


I make the whites of the eyes more prominent by painting it White.


The mouth is painted in Fuchsia.


I then use the black Acrilpen to define the details in the facial area.


Finally I paint the background green.


Papa Beat is laid aside to dry. In the next blog we will draw and paint Mama Bear.


For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment