Search This Blog

Saturday 5 December 2015

Using your Adult Coloring Pages to fold an Envelope Box

I love those nifty and ever useful envelope boxes, but they cost an arm and a leg to buy. So why not make your own. They are real easy to fold. I use one of the patterns from the Geometric Foursome collection to fold this box. The design is available from APrettyTalent.com as a Digital Download. I show you how to color the design, but you can skip over this part and do your own thing. Once the design is colored, we fold the box. Fun, fun, fun all the way!


Coloring the Design
I use Derwent's student range coloring pencils for these designs, simply to save my more expensive artist quality pencils a bit. The Academy range of products are still very good and you will certainly not be disappointed by it, but it is not quite on par with sets such as Coloursoft or Studio.


This is the design I will be working with today.


I start by coloring every sixth segment Dark Green. Notice how I do not always use the same segment in the different blocks, but mix them up a bit for greater variety.


The next color to go into the segments is Light Green.


This is followed by Jade Green.


The fourth segment is colored Sea Green.


Now follows Lime Green.


The last shade of green to be added to the segments is Olive Green.


I color the inner circles Blue.


The spaces in between are colored Kingfisher Blue.


Lastly, I color the dividing sectors Yellow Ochre.


Folding the Envelope Box
We can now start with a colored page and this is what mine looks like.


I start by cropping the white border.


I then determine the basic widths and lengths of the sides of the box and draw the pattern accordingly. I wrote these on the paper so you could see what I have done.


I made a very short rounded end for the envelope flap using a compass.


I could then connect the lines for the envelope flap to the rounded edge.


It was time to cut out the box pattern.


All of the remaining lines are fold lines and folded these over a ruler to ensure a neat and straight fold.


The two side flaps received double-sided tape to keep them tucked in once the box was folded.


I folded the box on the lines.


I cut a very small piece of Velcro and used Tombow glue to attach it to the flap of the box. This is optional as you may as well tuck the flap in.


Once the Velcro on the flap was dry, I glued the other side of it and closed the flap to make sure that I got it in exactly the right place.


Here you can see the two sides of the Velcro clearly.


I finally had a lovely envelope box to keep my keepsakes or to use in gifting.


The designs used in this project are available from APrettyTalent.com. Go to Digital Downloads and select Geometric Foursome. Add it your cart and proceed to checkout. The link to your downloads will appear in your inbox as soon as the transaction has cleared.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment