Search This Blog

Saturday 30 January 2016

Giving an Old Shelf a New Life with Chalk Paint

I inherited this old corner shelf from my grandmother when she gave up her house. It has been traveling with me and has taken quite a beating. It was badly in need of sanding down and a fresh coat of varnish. And then it occurred to me that it could look quite fabulous if I treated it to a few layers of chalk paint. That is exactly what I did and I share the steps with you in today's blog.


This is the before shot of the shelf. I am purposefully holding it upside down so that you can more readily see the scratches and damage to the varnish.


After some contemplation, I decide to make the first coat of chalk paint a very dark one. I will apply the paint with a soft bristled flat brush.


The first coat is called Dark Pewter by VanDaniQue.


I then decide to paint a very light white over the black. I want to retain some black streaks and therefore use a hard-bristled flat brush to apply the paint.


This coat is called White Wash.


Now I am finally ready to paint the colour that I wish to dominate. I return to the same soft-bristled brush of before.


This coat is called English Rose.


When I am done, you can see signs of all three coats, but the most dominant is the last one that was applied. I then treat the shelf to a coat of varnish.


Once the varnish is dry, I apply some Dark Wax to the shelf, concentrating on the corners and sides.


Finally I am done and have a freshly painted shelf that was naturally distressed and has now been mock-distressed. Go figure!


For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment