Search This Blog

Monday 4 January 2016

Making Delicious Homemade Sweetcorn

I love sweetcorn, but the tins rarely if ever satisfy in terms of quality. For this reason I experimented until I was satisfied with the results and I now have a recipe that has my guests asking for more. Best is that it is so simple to make and that you probably have everything you need at hand.


I love steaming vegetables, rather than boiling them in water. I believe that more of the taste and natural sweetness is retained this way. That is why I steamed some frozen corn. You can also cook fresh corn and then simply cut them from the stalks. I prepared about 500 g of corn.


Boil about two cups of milk (500 ml).


Season the milk with salt. 1/2 to 1 teaspoonful should be ample.


Add approximately 50 g of butter.


Make a Maizena/Cornflour paste by mixing it with a little bit of milk.


Add the paste to the milk to thicken it.


Add the corn to the sauce, or the other way around, depending on the pots you've used.


Mix well. Do a taste test to see if you need to add more salt, or possible a little sugar.


As is often the case  with frozen corn, it has lost some of its natural sweetness and I added a little sugar to sweeten it.


I was still stirring in the sugar when these two arrived and wanted a taste. I finally had to dish some up for them as they would not stop dipping their used spoons into the food! They declared it "pudding!" That's a pass in my book. Very happy aunt.


The final product!


For more crafty ideas and great products, visit APrettyTalent.com.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment