Search This Blog

Saturday 25 June 2016

Embossing Kitchen Foil For A Birthday Card

When making cards for men or, in this case an emerging man in his mid teens, it can be slightly tricky. I want to keep it funky enough to incorporate his youthfulness, yet mature enough so as not to seem demeaning. Glitter paper is acceptable, but I don't want it to dominate. That is why I decided to use kitchen foil to add the metallic sheen I was looking for.


I will be using a card from a set of blank store-bought cards for the base of today's project.


I take the measurements of this cream-colored card to see determine the exact measurements I will be working with.


I then cut a piece of kitchen foil to fit the measurements of the card.


I use an embossing tool and leather-look embossing plate to emboss the foil. Work gently or the foil will tear.


I stick double-sided tape on the card to fix the foil in place.


I then carefully lay the foil in place on the card.


I cut a length of golden glitter paper the length of the card.


The is placed as an accent on the side of the card.


I then find a square of cream-colored handmade paper that will fit perfectly on my card. No need for trimming. Bonus!


I cut a piece of corrugated cardboard slightly smaller than the handmade paper.


Both pieces are given double-sided tape.


At the last minute I decide to give the corrugated cardboard a twist to make the layout a little less predictable.


I use Tombow glue to fix an embellishment in place.


Not liking the monotony of the colour scheme, I decide to use a bright red Sharpie marker to add some interest to the frame.


I then punch the salutations from red paper with a shiny finish.


The letters are glued and carefully laid in place using a pair of tweezers.


Mature with a little bit of funkiness to it, this card is brilliant for my handy 15 year old nephew.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy her books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment