Search This Blog

Monday 25 July 2016

Cardmaking: Using Transparent Layers To Build A Card

There are so many pretty transparent papers on the market these days, but it is not always easy to know how to use them in our crafts. In today's blog, I make use of a number of transparent layers to build a card, using their unique qualities to add even more nuances to the card, than I would be able to achieve with opaque papers.


I start this card on a blank card that I bought in a pack of five blanks. The card is an off-white colour, which suits me brilliantly as I will be working in a yellow and orange colour scheme.


I found this cloth square in a stash of discards. This was left over from a project that I did with the kids to introduce them to painting on fabric. It started off well, but in the end they enjoyed themselves so much that the picture disappeared and the colours blended into this rather pretty maroon. This is exactly why I chose to keep it and it would come in handy for today's project.


I measure the desired size of the fabric square and draw cutting lines with my pencil.


The fabric is then cut to size.


It is attached to the card with double-sided tape.


I also had this glitter paper strip left over from another project where I needed loads of glitter butterflies. As this line of butterflies allows me to see what is underneath the glitter paper, this becomes my first 'transparent' layer that is added to the card.


The butterfly strip is cut to size and attached to the card with double-sided tape.


I add a second, less obvious, strip above the fabric as well.


I then use a patterned transparen vellum that is cut to size. This too is added, making full use of the attributes of vellum to see the original layer underneath it.


Another reason why I like using vellum, is because it turns a smoky white colour when you emboss on it, making it easy to add highlights or focus points to the card. I use this coffee stencil to emboss two jubilant figures onto the vellum.


These two figures will do well to simulate two people conveying birthday wishes.


I then decide that I need a bright and strong colour to frame my focal figures and add two orange strips on the side.


I use this same orange cardboard to draw speech bubbles on.


The speech bubbles are cut out.


I then use an orange Sharpie marker to draw a frame around the speech bubbles.


A brown Staedtler Fine Liner is used to write the birthday wishes on the speech bubbles.


The speech bubbles are then fixed in place and the card is finished. Can you see how the use of the transparent layers brought these widely different layers together by allowing the bottom layers to show through the top layers?


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy the books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment