Search This Blog

Monday 19 September 2016

Cardmaking For A Gardener

We all have gardeners in our lives. They are those people who love to tinker around in the garden regardless of whether their preference is for flowers, succulents, veggies, herbs, or all of the above. These are the people I love to give plants to for their birthdays, and when I do, I want the card to accentuate the gift. I show you how to make just such a simple, yet friendly, card in today's blog.


I start by cutting a double-sided pink 12" x 12" cardstock sheer in half, using my metal ruler and a craft knife.


I then fold one of these halves over to form a card.


I now find some craft paper with a homely check pattern. I trim this to fit the bottom 2/3's of the card.


I use double-sided tape to fix the paper to the card.


Doesn't this pattern remind you of strawberries and cream?


I will be using Tim Holts' Distress Ink in Walnut stain to stain the edges of my embellishments. This reminds me of the soil.


I had some unused die-cuts left over from when I was testing my Cricut machine, after just buying it, and I would be using some of these. You could also use punched out shapes.


You can load different art cartridges in the machine with hundreds of different designs to be cut from paper and cardboard.


It works very much like a printer, except that it cuts the shape with a blade, rather than print it in ink.


I would be using some of these die-cut shapes, and the first to catch my eye are these two snails..


I ink the snails.


I then use double-sided tape to fix them in place. Notice how they extend past the check paper at the bottom.


I also found this spade and this is also inked.


I used 3-D double-sided tape to add a new dimension to the card.


Things are starting to come together.


My next embellishment is cut from paper with a suede finish. This adds a new texture to the card. The colour is meant to speak of love for the soil, while the heart conveys my warm wishes for the recipient of the card.


This is also mounted on 3-D double-sided tape to fix it to the card.


Loving the simplicity of the card, I leave it at that, opting to rather write a special message inside, than to add writing to the outside of the card.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy the books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment