Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 September 2016

Cardmaking Invite To An Arranged Party

Do you also have friends who adamantly refuse to celebrate their birthdays? I like to treat these friends to a party, arranged by myself and other friends we have in common. These special birthday friends then end up receiving an invite to their own birthday parties. We make just such a card in today's blog.


I start by cutting a sheet of double-sided 12" x 12" craft paper in half, using my craft knife and a metal ruler.


One of these halves are then folded in half to form a card.


The more plain of the two patterns is used inside the card.


I stack some fabric flowers to make a pretty layered flower for the outside of the card.


The layered flower is attached to the card with a small split pin which is stuck through the centers of the flower layers and then through the card.


I had some unused die-cuts left over from when I was testing my Cricut machine, after just buying it, and I would be using some of these. You could also use punched out shapes.


You can load different art cartridges in the machine with hundreds of different designs to be cut from paper and cardboard.


It works very much like a printer, except that it cuts the shape with a blade, rather than print it in ink.


I would be using some of these die-cut animal shapes, attaching them to the paper with double-sided tape.


One of these die-cut shapes is pasted to the outside of the card.


Some more heart shapes are also added to the outside of the card.


I draw and cut a speech bubble from coordinating paper.


The speech bubble is inked, using Tim Holtz' Distress Ink in Walnut Stain.


The speech bubble is then mounted on 3-D double-sided tape, before being fixed to the card.


I write the start of the message inside the speech bubble: "A couple of us are getting together to say ..." Inside the card, I will be adding the words "Happy Birthday!" to complete the sentence.


I use some more critter die-cuts inside the card.


Each of these animals represent the friends throwing the party for the birthday girl.


I punch the words 'happy birthday' from two coordinating papers, alternating the letters.


The letters are stuck down using Tombow glue. The fine nozzle is perfect for detail work and small objects.


I lay the letters down randomly to mimic the happy unpredictability of the relationships of the group.


The inside of the card when I am done.


The outside of the card.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy the books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment