Search This Blog

Friday 14 October 2016

Whipping Up Royal Icing

Wanting to cut down on my fat intake after a winter of indulgence, I was looking for a recipe for icing that would have a lower fat content than regular butter icing. This was when I recalled royal icing, something I had not used in a long time. The sugar content is still high in this icing, but we eliminate butter altogether. A bonus is that it is simply delicious!


Start by separating 4 large eggs.


Add 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) Cream of Tartar to the egg whites. The yolks will be discarded.


Whip up the egg whites until the tips are firm when you lift the mixer out.


Add a teaspoonful (5 ml) vanilla essence.


Add 4 cups (4 x 250 ml) icing sugar. Add the icing sugar half a cup at a time and continue whipping.


When you are done, you will have a lovely firm icing.


Spoon the icing into a plastic bag.


Snip off one tiny corner of the bag.


I find it easy to pipe my icing onto a cake with a plain plastic bag that can simply be discarded when I am done with it.


Here you can see that I used the royal icing between the layers of the cake, as well as on top.


I also piped the sides and then used a knife to smooth the icing.


If left uncovered overnight in the fridge, the icing will turn hard. Here I used the icing to decorate a cake.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy the books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment