Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 November 2016

Cardmaking: Mosaic A Paper Picture

Today's card was actually an afterthought to a project I planned to do with the kids. I was simply working out the sequence of steps I wanted to teach them when I realized that my final product was too cute to discard. This was when I decided to turn it into a very suave card, ideal for a young teenage lady.


I took today's picture from a magazine I bought a couple of years ago at the airport in Cologne while waiting for a flight.


I loved this picture and wanted to use it.


Whenever I cut from a treasured magazine, I check the reverse side of the page to make sure I am not sacrificing something that has value to me. I was okay here.


I very carefully cut the picture I wanted to use from the magazine.


I then measured it against an A4 page to see how the two papers complimented each other. This would be perfect.


I drew cutting guides on the back of the picture.


Then I started cutting the picture apart.


Each piece that was cut off, was carefully laid out in order on the blank paper.


My final cutout. I now drew a 1 cm pasting guide on the left and bottom of the page. My pieces would have to line up with this guide.


When I started gluing the pieces onto the paper, I decided to cut the pieces into even smaller bits.


I glued the backs.


I aimed for even spacing between the different pieces.


The final product with all the pieces glued in place.


I now needed to complete the frame and crop the paper.


It was when I had cropped the picture that I realized I wanted to turn this into something useful and settled on the idea of turning it into a card.


I used a white 12" x 12" paper for the base of the card.


I folded this in half.


Fitting the picture on the paper, I cropped the card to the desired size.


I attached the picture with double-sided tape to the card.


I then felt that the card needed a splash of red to draw attention to it. I glued some dots on the card to attach a couple of red rhinestones.


The finished card has just enough elegance to delight a young girl.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy the books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment