Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 December 2016

Turning Leftovers Into Rice Salad

It is the time of year where we entertain and invite friends over for meals and snacks. If your house is anything like ours, you will also be sitting with small containers of little bits of leftovers. I show you how to turn those leftovers into a wholesome rice salad in today's blog.


Start with your leftover rice. I had some brown rice left over.


I had sliced gherkins left over, although not very much. The pickling spices will go well with rice salad as well and I retain these. It is added to the rice.


This tiny piece of feta cheese was left over. I will add this lastly. If I add it too quickly, it will crumble into fine crumbs and completely disappear into the salad.


Instead of finely chopping a whole onion, I add leftover cocktail onions.


I only have four pitted olives left over. I cut them into quarters and add them to the salad.


I need to add a bit more crunch. These lovely fresh gherkins are ideal. I slice one and add it to the salad.


Peaches are in season and this tree is bearing well. The cling peaches would be better, but they are not fully ripe yet. I add what I have. Peel the peaches and slice them into the salad.


We have been subjected to very rich food lately and I wish to make a lighter salad dressing. I therefore use equal measures mayonnaise and plain yoghurt.


I add my home-made mustard and some seasoning of my choice to the salad dressing. You can read all about making your own mustard in this blog:

Mixing Mustard a la Mama



Mix everything, except the feta cheese, well.


I decided that the brown rice basis I used, begged for a little more flavour and added a tiny bit of crushed garlic and chilies.


Mix well, transfer to a serving dish and crumble the feta on top. Serve cold.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy the books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment