Search This Blog

Thursday 27 April 2017

School Holiday Project: Making Chocolate Cracklings

On my trip to Botswana, I made friends with a cute four year old who loved playing Barbie on my iPad and then became enchanted by the fact that I painted. It did not take her long to jump to wanting to bake something in real life and I complied, thanks to the generosity of my hostess. However, just as we were ready to start baking cupcakes, the power went out. A quick rethink and browse through the recipe books, saw us ending up making chocolate cracklings.


This is the recipe we found, but upon making it, we discovered that it was too crumbly. Since arriving home, I have made it again with the assistance of my niece and nephew. This time round we added an egg and the result was spectacular. I'll tell you when to add the egg in the discussion.


This is the book we found the recipe in.


Start by melting 250 g butter/margarine in a large pot.


You will need 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) icing sugar, 100 ml cocoa, 1 cup (250 ml) coconut, 4 cups (4 x 250 ml) rice crispies, and 1 egg.


Sift the cocoa and icing sugar together.


Stir in the rice crispies and coconut.


At this point, I changed the recipe when making it a second time. I beat a single egg and kept it ready. I then transferred the contents to the pot with melted butter and stirred it through on low heat. Then I removed the pot from the heat and immediately stirred in the beaten egg. The mixture became much more sticky and less crumbly than it turned out the first time around.


Transfer the contents to paper cups.


Decorate if you like.


Allow to chill in the fridge to set properly and serve as soon your helpers' impatience becomes unbearable to withstand ;-).


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy the books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment