Search This Blog

Tuesday 9 May 2017

School Holiday Project: Fingerprint Painting

The little ones demanded that we do a painting project as soon as possible. Problem was that I was still finding my feet having returned from a three week painting holiday. The studio still needed to be put back in order and I had to think of something to do with them that would be a little more contained. This was a great time to bring out the stamp pads for some fingerprint painting. I show you how much fun this can be in today's blog.


I gathered the stamp pads, some fibre tip pens (or markers) and white printer paper.


The kids were very excited about using the stamp pads for a change.


The kids had their own ideas about what they wanted to make, and I gave them free reign, but I'll show you an easy design to do with your own kids. I start by drawing 3 lines to represent flower stems. Each stem gets a circle a little ways removed from its top.


Press your finger onto the stamp pad and put finger prints all around the circles. You may wish to turn the page to maneuver around the circle more easily.


The center of the flower is filled with finger prints using another colour.


You may opt to use only traditional flower colours ...


... or you may go a little crazy with your choice of colours. You can also overlay colours on the same petals, or alternate colours. Many options are open here. I kept mine simple as I was entertaining two youngsters who needed my attention.


I used the whole stamp pad to create the 'soil' that the flowers grew in, by pressing it down on the paper.


I then added some leaves to the flower stems.


The leaves were also filled with finger prints.


As an afterthought, I added a quick butterfly.


I finally got to overlay some prints when I did the butterfly. There are plenty more ideas I can share for fingerprint painting, but you get the gist of it. If the child is too young to draw, you can even have them 'colour' a picture in their coloring books in this way. It is always fun, whatever you choose to do in this way.
Tip: Keep a damp cloth handy to wipe the fingers with before going from one stamp colour to the next, or the colours will become muddled up.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy the books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to this blog and receive regular updates by email by simply registering your email address at the top of the current blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment