Search This Blog

Sunday 4 June 2017

Grandma's Apple Pie

All of a sudden this morning I developed a craving for apple pie. But not just any apple pie. I wanted a specific apple pie that my grandma used to bake on occasion. I found her recipe folder and started paging through the myriad of cutouts, scribbles, tear-outs and side notes, before finally stumbling across the fading handwritten recipe that I was looking for. I show you how to bake this nostalgic recipe from my gran's folder in today's blog.


This is the recipe I found in my gran's folder. It attributes the recipe to a 'Tannie Els', someone I did not know.


Cream 1 cup (250 ml) sugar and 2 tablespoons (25 ml) butter/margarine.


Beat 3 eggs into this.


Add 1 1/4 cup (310 ml) cake flour, a teaspoon baking powder (5 ml) and a pinch (2 ml) salt to the mixture.


Mix well.


In a separate bowl, mix 1 cup brown sugar and a tablespoon (12,5 ml) cinnamon.


Prepare a baking dish with nonstick spray.


Coat the bottom of the baking dish with the sugar and cinnamon.


Drain a a large tin of apple slices and spread the apples evenly over the sugared dish.


Spread the dough evenly over the apples and bake at 200 °C for roughly 20 minutes.


In the meantime, empty a small can of evaporated milk (I used 3/4 of a large tin) and 1 cup (250 ml) sugar into a pot.


Bring to the boil and turn down the heat. Continue to stir for roughly 10 minutes over a low heat.


Remove the pie from the oven when done.


Pour the sweetened Ideal Milk over the warm pie.


The pie will absorb most of the liquid.


I like to prepare a thin custard with my apple pie, but you may prefer some whipped cream.


Serve hot. As a dessert, it is especially good with ice cream.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great products, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making PRETTY things.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs to receive regular updates by email, by simply registering your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment