Search This Blog

Thursday 29 March 2018

Growing Your Own Garlic

When I was in Hondeklipbaai towards the end of last year, I found it a struggle to find the things I'm used to have handy in the city. This location is so remote, that one has to adjust and learn to make do without. One day, one of the local women came to visit and, spotting some garlic in the kitchen, told me she could teach me to grow my own. I was intrigued, and even though it was not my garden, I decided to nurse some garlic into life, with the help of my new friend. I share what I have learned in today's blog.


This is the garlic my friend spotted in the kitchen.


It would only require one clove of this garlic, to grow our own plant.


We found a clear plastic bag and cut it smaller.


We added a drop of water to the bag.


The clove of garlic was placed in the bag, with its growth side in the water.


The bag was then suspended in the fridge.


After a couple of days, the garlic was starting to sprout roots.


A few more days, and it was growing nicely. Time to plant it in soil.


There was a pot with soil in the vegetable garden and I decided to plant the garlic here, after consulting with the groundsman cum gardener.


We made a hole in the middle of the pot.


The garlic was then planted in the hole and covered, with the top being allowed to show. My visit was unexpectedly cut short, and I could not see the end result, but I believe it is doing well and they are already harvesting from it. Enjoy!


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment