Search This Blog

Wednesday 21 March 2018

Painting A Heart-Shaped Horse In Acrylics

I have temporarily moved house so that I can fill a relief teaching post. The problem was that I missed painting so much that I simply had to go out and purchase some products to fill the longing in my soul. My choice fell on acrylics as my desk would have to double as an art studio in the confined space of the room I was renting, and acrylics dry quickly enough so that I wouldn't be sitting with wet canvasses strewn all over the room.. In today's blog I share the first of the paintings I did in this temporary 'studio' when I show you step by step how to paint this heart-shaped horse that was inspired by a line drawing I came across on Pinterest.


I bought three of these fabulous heart-shaped wooden die-cuts, as well as some gesso.


The first step was to prepare the surface with two coats of gesso.


I then used charcoal to draw a rough sketch of the horse on the canvas.


I used a clean dry brush to brush the loose particles of charcoal away.


I then painted the background a neutral grey.


I emphasized the features of the horse by painting it black.


I then painted the horse white.


I filled in cool shaded areas with blue.


Warm highlights were done in red.


Accentuation and detail was emphasized in black.


The final product!


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment