Search This Blog

Thursday 22 March 2018

School Holiday Project: Painting Snail Shells

On a trip to Koiingnaas in Namaqualand, last year, I came across a number of large snail shells on my hikes through the veld. I asked about the snails themselves, and was told that it was the wrong season to find live snails. I picked up a couple of snail shells to take home with me, where the kids and I had a lot of fun painting the shells, before placing them in Grandma's garden.


A dried-up shell as I found it in the veld.


I did not have anything with me to cart them home, so I used my cap.


I painstakingly unclogged the shells of all debris and insects (!) before trusting them to my luggage.


The shells were also washed...


... and left to dry in the sun.


Once home, we used Dala Craft Paint to paint the shells.


Some colours we simply mixed ourselves.


One thrilled little boy relishing the project.


His intrigued little sister.


I painted an example of what could be done.


Some of their attempts.


The collection was ready for Grandma's garden.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment