Search This Blog

Monday 23 April 2018

Paint A Fantasy Tree In Acrylics

I recently came across a very similar fantastical tree on Pinterest and decided that I would like to borrow the idea and paint it myself. I show you how to go about it step by step in today's blog. I use acrylics as medium for this project.


I found some discarded paintings on the rubbish heap of the school where I am teaching. Upon inquiry, I discovered that the pupils had moved out of the school and left their art behind. It was thrown out in a clean-up spree. I retrieved these canvasses to paint over them.


Three layers of gesso all by obliterated the images beneath it.


I opted on a set of cool colours to paint the background in.


I start with broad brush strokes in the first blue.


A second blue is added.


A third blue is added.


A fourth and last blue is added.


Green is included to earth the picture and to break the monotony.


A dark brown is used to paint a large tree with swirling and curling branches and roots.


Dots and hearts are painted on the tree in white.


A selection of colours is set aside to paint those hearts and circles in.


I start with green. Pay attention to the flowers at the bottom.


I move on to yellow.


I then add orange to the painting.


Red is added.


Lastly, a warm purple is added.


White lines are painted all along the tree trunk and its branches.


Yellow lines are added.


The hearts are outlined with a rigger and white.


The flowers are similarly outlined.


The bigger dots receive white swirls. Smaller dots simply get a white dash on one side.


White dots (stars) are made in the sky surrounding the tree.


The tree is lined with white dots.


The white lines are highlighted with yellow.


White swirls are added to the background surrounding the tree.


Bugs are painted in outline white.


Yellow and orange is swirled onto the canvas to create the impression of a fantasy creature resembling a bunny.


A white outline completes the creature.


The completed painting.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment