Search This Blog

Monday 2 April 2018

Painting An Abstract Nude in Acrylics

I never thought I would paint nudes, but someone recently intrigued me in a discussion, and I decided to give it a go with two different takes on this theme. The first of these is a rather more abstract rendition where lines were allowed to merge and flow into each other. The painting was also stripped of its detail, so that it gives the impression of a figure rather than pertinently bringing it to your attention. I show you how to do this painting in a couple of quick steps in today's blog.


I started with a wooden box canvas.


This was prepped with gesso.


It was given a second coat of gesso and left to dry completely.


I then drew the figure on the canvas with charcoal, taking my inspiration from a line drawing I discovered on Pinterest.


I started with the background, which was painted in a mixture of warmer and colder colours.


None of the colours were mixed on the palette, but rather by dipping the brush in more than one colour, before applying it to the canvas.


I used several colours to create the rich skin tones.


I did not pay too much attention to 'correct' play of light and shadow, as I wanted a more surreal and abstract effect, only hinting at this being a figure.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment