Search This Blog

Thursday 5 April 2018

Painting A Frazzled Ostrich In Acrylics

I love ostriches. They are such whimsical birds, and I associate them with good times, as they seemed to be around on most of my fun holidays and tours. In today's project I show you how to paint a rather frazzled looking ostrich. We use lots of fun colours in this painting to make sure it does not take a moody undertone. The process is one of pure joy and relaxation. I used acrylics as medium in this painting.


I start on a deep-frame canvas board for the surface that I paint on.


I prepare the surface by giving it two coats of gesso. waiting for each coat to dry before continuing.


The surface is now ready for me to paint on it.


I start with Red Oxide and Natural Grey.


I cleaned my palette from an earlier project on this board, but this will not affect my painting in the least, unless it made it more interesting. I paint the whole of background with the red oxide.


I then paint the sides in natural grey.


I also paint the very center, where the head of the ostrich will be, with natural grey.


I then use charcoal to draw a very simple outline for the face of the ostrich.


I want the colours that I use, to reflect as brightly as possible. I therefore start by painting the mouth white, before painting it the colours I would like it to be.


The mouth is then painted pink and the rest of the head and neck is painted white, as well as the eyes.


The face and neck is then painted blue.


The pupils are painted black and shadows are added all over the face. I also paint in nostrils, and the line for the mouth opening.


The blue eyes are painted green.


I use the natural grey to start adding thick feathers.


Blue is added to paint more thick feathers.


Next, I use pink to add more thick feathers.


I then switch to a rigger brush to add thin black feathers.


I finish off by using my large brush to add white highlights. I then add thin white brush strokes for fine white feathers, using the rigger brush. Adding the white at the end, is what brings everything together in this whimsical creature.


Marietjie Uys (Miekie) is a published author. You can buy my books here:
You can purchase Designs By Miekie 1 here.
Jy kan Kom Ons Teken en Verf Tuinstories hier koop.
Jy kan Kom Ons Kleur Tuinstories In hier koop.
Jy kan Tuinstories hier koop.
You can follow Miekie's daily Bible Study blog, Bybel Legkaart, here in English & Afrikaans.
You may prefer to follow the traveling blog, A Pretty Tourist.
For more crafty ideas and great product reviews, visit A Pretty Talent on Facebook.
If you are in a literary mood, follow Miekie's musings, stories and poetry on A Pretty Author - Miekie.
Remember to keep nurturing your TALENT for making life PRETTY.
You can subscribe to any of these blogs and receive regular updates by email. Simply register your email address at the top of the applicable blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment